With the Spring Racing Carnival in full swing, it’s time to get your head into the game and start planning your race day ensembles. I know for most gentlemen the thought of planning an outfit even one day in advance may seem harrowing; but I can guarantee that when it comes to the Spring Racing Carnival, planning is everything! And remember…it’s racing season guys. It’s time to up the fashion stakes!
It's all in the details!
Accessories make the man, remember that. If you want to be looking the goods, you’ll have to make sure to bling it up! Watches, bracelets and sunglasses are all a good first step, just make sure that they all tie in nicely together and complement your look. We all love showing a bit of ankle down here in Melbourne, but for raceday don’t forget the socks! You can actually be refused entry if you aren’t wearing any, so be sure to keep those ankles hidden!
Lastly, Melbourne is rather notorious for its flaky weather; especially around Spring. Your best bet is to bring along an umbrella in case the weather takes a turn for the worse. Investing in a good umbrella can really add some serious style points to your ensemble too! Your best bet for a no-nonsense umbrella would have to be Henry Bucks – not that free one you got at the Melbourne show last year.
Where to Buy?
Below is an assortment of some of Australia’s finest clothiers that will have you raceday ready in no time! If you have the time and the money to order a made to measure suit, try one of these fine establishments listed below:
- Carl Navè | A Melbourne based tailor with a truly Italian flair MTM (Starting from $1,200).
- Hermen Menswear | The new kid on the block that produces some quality tailoring at an off the rack price (Starting from $799).
- InStitchu | e-tailoring at it’s finest, design online and have it delivered straight to your door – talk about convenience! (Starting from $899)
If time is your enemy or you don’t quite have the budget for made to measure suiting, your best bets for on-trend, off-the-rack suiting would most definitely be found below:
- Godwin Charli | With a focus on quality fabrics and slim silhouettes GC will not disappoint!
- Aquila | My absolute go-to for mix-matched suiting, clean and no nonsense suiting.
- M.J. Bale | The lads over at MJ really set the sartorial standard. Also, with two suits for a grand if you are considering multiple race days they definitely have you covered.
- Brooks Brothers / Tommy Hilfiger | For those who know me, I had to include some Prep in the line-up! Either stores will provide the goods if you are after some thing nautical.
At the end of the day, it's all about getting into the racing spirit and enjoying what is one of the greatest racing carnival's on earth! Make sure you follow me on Instagram and Twitter to check out my content this Spring Racing Carnival. See you at the races!